mercredi 14 octobre 2009

LA MAUVAISE VIE - FREDERIC MITTERRAND


There has been A LOT of talk going on about the minister of culture in France (Frédéric Mitterrand) and how in his new book, "La Mauvaise Vie" (or, "The bad life") he describes how he has had relationships with "boys" in something like a brothel, in Patpong Thailand. After hearing people simply talk about the subject I decided it would be necessary to look into the issue further before making any presumptions on a man that I consider entirely respectable. So, I went to Le Monde to find a three page excerpt from the book that had me on the edge of my seat! He explains, and rather beautifully I must add, the whole scene about his selection of a 'boy' and following him back to a hotel room lined with mirrors. He explains how he feels that, the idea of not being responsable to anyone and not having to give answers to anyone, makes this experience something unescapable for him. He mentions how the idea of a love slave (!) excites him more than anything and that, for him, it is a necessary part of his life. The main part in this passage focuses on this one boy that he met named "Bird" and how he fell in love with Bird for that one night. Later he delicately declares his wishes that nobody will ever hurt this boy (aged around 20 years old) and that he will never be ruined by the world.

I honestly do not know what to think. However, I do profoundly respect his ability, as an active minister, to speak the truth. Perhaps I am giving him too much artistic liberty, but somehow after reading that passage I did not feel disgusted or shocked at all, as I am sure many people could be. It was almost depressing, or something that one could feel sorry for the man having to keep up with his proffessional life and keep low his private life. In any case, I find it somewhat absurde that people would like to remove him from his position after such a thing, and rather I think it might be the kind of mental healing from writing this book that could bring about a better, more rounded person.

And there is my opinion.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire